In addition to CIPP, Rossi's Five Domain Evaluation Model, and Kirkpatrick's Training Evaluation Model, two other evaluation processes that I found in the textbook are Binkerhoff's Success Case Method (SCM) and Patton's Utilization-Focused Evaluation (U-FE). Both of these models are quite lengthy and have several steps involved in the processes, however I can see how they both are very useful in evaluating programs for instructional design.
Binkerhoff's Success Case Method typically focuses on finding what aspects of the training program, or instructitonal desing in our case, actually worked. This model accomplishes the task of determining what worked by isolating individuals that had actual success with the program and interviewing them to find out what they felt worked in regards to the program. The textbook describes this model as " a quick and simple process that combines analysis of extreme groups with case study and storytelling...to find out how well some organizational initiative is working" (Brinkerhoff,2005). This evaluation method works well because it is useful in both training (educational) and nontraining (uneducational) programs.
Brinkerhoff's Success Case Method includes five simple steps.
1) Evaluator must focus and plan the Success Case study.
-in this step the evaluator will identify and work with others to define which programs will be
evaluated.
2) Conduct visual impact model
-in this step the evaluator will list all of the impacts and outcomes that he or she expects to come
from the program that is being evaluated.
3) Conduct a survey research study
-in this step the evaluator seeks to identify both the best and worst cases. The purpose of this step
is to identify groups of individuals that were successful and unsucessful.
4) Schedule and conduct in-depth interviews with the success cases
-in this step the evaluator seeks to find out what aaspects of the program actually worked and
suggestions these individuals have for improving the program.
5) Write up and communicate evaluation findings
Patton's U-FE model simply states that "the utility of an evaluation is to be judged by the degree to which it is used" (Reiser, 102). This means that the evaluation should focus on the use of the evaluation from the beginning to the end of the processs. As I mentioned before, this is a lengthy, nine step process and may complement any of the other evaluation models. The important concept to take from this method is that an evaluation is of little use if it is not used.
As I cannot really relate to Patton's U-FE model, I can see where I could apply Brinkerhoff's model to evaluate my own instruction. I would find this to be easy in a classroom setting because I could find out directly from my students which aspects of instruction really worked for them. I could use this information to re-teach concepts and tailor future lessons so that I can ensure that they are getting the most out of their learning experience.
Later on throughout Section 3 we begin to read about other ways to assess and evaluate instructional design. Besides determining whether or not the instructional design leads to comparable amounts of learning and satisfaction as traditional methods. there are other questions that should be addressed as well. Some of the questions that immediately come to mind are whether the evaluation design is affordable (regarding both time and money), will environment have an impact on the success of the evaluation, how many people should be involved in the evaluation process, are some parts of the instructional design working and other parts are not working.
Finally, in Section 4 we discuss human performance, performance support systems, knowledge management systems, and the concept of informal learning. One problem that I can identify in my area of work is the need to organize and store tons of information, from lessons to homework, to grades to emails, etc. A non-instructional solutoin to solving this problem is to collaborate with colleagues to find out how they manage their classrooms and manage to keep all of their information organinzed. This would be considering participating in an informal learning environment. Other types of informal learning environments that can be used to help solve this issue is for me to look on Twitter, Pinterest, join a wiki, to find out how other teachers are managing all of their information. I think informal larning is a great solution, because not everyone has the time or the money to afford to spend on formal trainings as to how to go about storing all of their information. In one of my other classes, I actually learned from a discussion forum post ways in which I can go about solving my problem! This is why I know informal learning environments work.
Christian,
ReplyDeleteYou bring up a good point when you mention that time and money are something to consider when evaluating instructional design. Often times districts can spend a lot of money in hopes of finding a tool that will impact and improve learning, but then that later fades off when it was not as successful as it seemed to be. Then they move on to something else, paying more money.
In your final paragraph, you mention that a non-instructional tool that could solve your organizational problem might be collaborating with other colleagues. This can be very beneficial; as a matter of fact, my district has just implemented a new online learning management system in which teachers can create and share assignments, as well as students can submit their work online. The learning management system allows educators to store and organize everything in one place. This sounds like a winner to me! After ten years of teaching, I can totally relate to the lessons, emails, grades, homework, etc.!
Christian, good post, you cover all the points necessary. I also summarized the other two evaluation models and I did think that Brinkerhoff's model was more geared toward a classroom setting.
ReplyDeleteI think the informal learning that takes place in my classroom is also a good example, just like teachers working together. I show my kids that you can ask each other for IDEAS from each other but don't just copy someone, learn from their idea. Informal learning can really help a lot when it comes to social and unwritten rules so I also think it is necessary in our line of work.