Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Week 1: Defining the ID&T Field

When I was asked to define educational technology based on my own prior knowledge in a previous class, I decided that educational technology is a variety of different media dealing with teaching, researching, and learning that  make teaching, learning, and research a more efficient process.

After reading chapter 1 in the textbook regarding "defining and naming our field", I discovered that my definition is not too far off.  Although very broadly and vaguely stated I do realize that the goal of educational technology is to improve learning and performance.  I learned throughout the reading that I have a rather traditional view of education technology.  I have only considered instructional media as the only component of education technology that plays a role in facilitating learning.  My definition is similar to those throughout chapter 1, more specifically those stated after 1963, in that I believe that educational technology should focus more on learning than instruction.

My definition of educational technology has been shaped by my own personal observations and experiences with technology and education.  For example, as a student I use technology to enhance my research, present my ideas and coursework, and also to share my thoughts, ideas, and work with others.  Also as a father, I witness my four year old son  learning to play arcade games by watching YouTube videos; he even knows how to search for and find the video tutorials on his own!  This alone reveals to me how educational technology can enhance and facilitate learning.

After reading chapter1, I better understand what educational technology actually is.  It cannot necessary be defined using one specific definition, but rather is a compilation of several ideas.  I have come to accept the "Latest AECT Definition" of educational technology as "the study  and ethical practice of facilitating learning and improving performance by creating, using, and managing appropriate technological processes and resources".  This definition focuses on helping learners to apply new knowledge and skills rather than helping them to discover these ideas and knowledge.  This idea encourages instructors to use technology to engage their learners and teaches ways to think about the information and knowledge they are learning.

Although I am not yet teaching, as a teacher's aide I have been given several opportunities to deliver instruction.  Also I have been a student for several years now, so I have been on the receiving end of many lessons.  I cannot think of any lesson that has ultimately failed to adhere to the six characteristics of instructional design (ID): however, I have witnessed and delivered a few that have failed to completely address out least one of the characteristics.

The characteristics that I believe many instructors fail to adhere to is the first, most basic characteristic - ID must be student - centered.  I feel that teachers are so focused on delivering information that they fail to focus on learner performance.  Just because an instructor is able to fill a student's brain with knowledge does not mean that the student is actually retaining the specific applicability of that information.

I find that many teachers use a more traditional, content- centered approach.  I agree with the more modern era of instructional designers who suggest that lessons should approach teaching from a more whole task approach.  Instructors that focus on content, fail to focus on learner performance, especially since the goals of the lesson are not clearly established and presented to the learner.  Using the whole task approach, goals and objectives of the lesson are clearly defined in the beginning so that students are aware of what they are working toward.

If I were to redesign any lesson, I would only ensure that it truly focuses on learner performance.  I would use the whole task approach, and gear my lesson my lesson toward specific goals.  I feel that using the whole task approach is more beneficial to both the instructor and the learner.  It benefits the instructor because they can better measure and gauge whether the student is learning, and it benefits the student by allowing them to learn a more complete lesson.

Chapter 3 of the textbook begins by defining a traditional perspective of instructional media.  In 1983, Rieser and Gagne asserted that instructional media is the physical means via which instruction is presented to learners".  From this perspective, I assume that at this point Rieser considered teachers, chalkboards, and textbooks to all be forms of instructional media.

I think that Rieser decided to exclude teachers, chalkboards, and textbooks from the definition that is used throughout the chapter in order to encourage  us to consider the various  new forms of instructional media.  Personally, I believe that by definition, instructional media should be considered ANY physical means (human and nonhuman) that aids in presenting information to learners.  I believe that teachers, chalkboards, and textbooks are primary forms of instructional media. I do feel, however; that as times progress and technology advances, teachers should be more apt to use the more modern forms of instructional media (i.e.  e-learning environments, smart boards, and other devices).

I believe the purpose of instructional design is to incorporate instructional media into instruction.  It is the actual instructional design that will determine the effectiveness of instruction.  It is the blueprint that describes how and when certain instructional media should be used and incorporated to facilitate learning!


Rieser, R.A, Dempsey, J V.(2002).  Trends and issues in instructional design and technology.  Upper Saddler River, N.J.  Merrill Prentice Hall, c2002.




4 comments:

  1. Christian, your blog is well thought out and well-written. You have a good basis for becoming and teacher and incorporating great tech lessons in your future classroom. Like you mentioned, your four-year-old son can show you a thing or two on technology! As you have seen, many kids are very adept with the tech provided in a classroom, though to truly use tech in a meaningful way that isn't just game playing, is a struggle for us all. More practice and getting to the know the IDT process better will really help us. Good job on your blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post. I too, believe the purpose of instructional design is to incorporate instructional media into instruction. It is the actual instructional design that will determine the effectiveness of instruction. Just as people use a variety of tones, pitches, rhythm, timbre, loudness, inflections, gestures, etc. to communicate ideas to others; teachers should also use a variety of media to aid in the transfer of learning. Even games have transformed and proven to be one of the best ways of promoting co-operation and creativity. Educational games keep students engaged with their study, ignite the interactive and imaginative element in their thinking and mold it towards creativity. Some students play online and play globally, which also intrigues the competitive side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! I couldn't agree more with your thoughts and insight over the first three chapters. I too, have a young daughter and have seen first hand how much you children absorbs and learn. I amazes me the knowledge that my daughter has already with technology...after all she is only 6! I was surprised to learn through your blog that you are not a teacher yet, you provided very well-written points. With that being said you are going to make a very effective teacher. Also great job on pointing out that instructional media can be given be any means, whether is be human or not as long as it is beneficial to the learner. Your points and making IST learner centered and your concerns about learner performance are also great highlights to this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post Christian,

    You picked 2 that I did not so it really gave me an insight on some of the other models people found. I love how you talk about time and money. Often times school districts do not fully evaluate a system. In dealing with technology I have seen my district buy programs only to realize that they are not compatible with the devices we have on campuses, which end up being a waste of money or shoving out more money. Anytime I have purchased technology I always consult out IT department to ensure it works with what I have. This step saves time and possibly much more money being spent.

    ReplyDelete